Drunken ‘out of control’ mums kicked unwell woman repeatedly in attack outside pub


Two sisters repeatedly kicked a woman in a drunken attack outside a pub which was captured on CCTV.

Donna Phillips and Rachael Wilkinson, who are both mums in their 30s, were later said to be shocked and disgusted when they were shown footage of the incident in Loughborough.

Leicester Crown Court heard the victim was out with her friends and husband, who was celebrating getting a new job, when she became unwell and went outside the Bell Foundry pub with a female friend, in February last year.

Tom Welshman, prosecuting, told the court the victim threw up in the street and the two sisters, who were walking past, hurled disparaging comments at her, LeicestershireLive reports.

He continued that the sisters said “look at the state of that” followed by personal insults about her size and hair before attacking her when she swore at them in response.

The attack took place despite a man trying to stop them and as the victim tried to defend herself she ended up on the ground with 34-year-old Phillips kneeling on her torso “still holding her hair.”

Mr Welshman said: “It was a sustained assault involving multiple kicks.”

The victim was taken to hospital suffering from bleeding and bruising to her right eye, nose and part of her left eye, with a bruised left thigh and knee as well as injuries to her right elbow.

Police showed the sisters CCTV footage of the attack during their interviews and 37-year-old Wilkinson said she could not believe she acted in that way and her behaviour was “inexcusable.”

While Phillips said she was protecting her sister but felt “horrible” watching the recording.

Wilkinson from Shepshed, and Phillips, from the Loughborough area, but of no fixed address, both admitted causing actual bodily harm.

The victim was discharged from hospital and there was no up-to-date information about her situation, as the court heard she did not wish to provide a personal impact statement.

Judge Ebrahim Mooncey said: “If you’re out for an evening and not feeling well and are set upon by two people who are completely out of control, I can see how upset she would be and fearful for the future.”

He said: “Both these ladies have had issues in their past and have been resilient enough to overcome that and this is the first time they had been out for a while.

“Both are mothers of three children each and both are in in relationships.

“They acknowledge they did wrong and are remorseful.”

He asked if either defendant had ever been employed, but was simply told they were both on state benefits.

Sentencing, Judge Mooncey said: “I saw the video of what took place … being kicked on the floor … the kind of behaviour that can’t be tolerated, of the kind we normally see in a murder or an attempted murder case.

“I’ve seen photographs of the injuries and, relatively speaking, they aren’t the worst.

“The victim hasn’t updated us on her situation or sought a restraining order, and I work on the assumption she’s recovered and put it behind her.

“This was a joint enterprise attack on one person.

“You’re both of previous good character and have no experience of the criminal justice system.”

James Armstrong-Holmes, mitigating for Phillips said: “She feels deeply ashamed and disgusted by what’s she’s done.

“He said she had not drunk alcohol for two months prior to this night and consumed drink on an empty stomach “which had an effect on her.”

Phillips is not currently living with her children and was described by her barrister as “sofa surfing” with no permanent home – only using her partner’s home as a postal address.

Mr Armstrong-Holmes added: “Her sister became involved first and she went to her support when she shouldn’t have.”

He said the two sisters had endured a “difficult upbringing” and were “very close.”

Nathan Palmer, mitigating for Wilkinson, said: “There’s no dispute about what happened.

“She hadn’t been on a night out involving alcohol for two years and the incident was an aberration in her life, wholly out of character.

“She’s expressed horror, genuine remorse and an acceptance her behaviour was inexcusable; that’s what she said when confronted with the reality of her conduct.”

Both women were given 10 month jail sentences, suspended for 18 months, each with a 40 day rehabilitation activity requirement.

Wilkinson alone was ordered to pay £300 towards court costs because Phillips was said to have insufficient funds at her disposal.